The event, The $5 Challenge, is a challenge to shop for the supplies to make a spring decor item while spending less than $5 total for the item. I like spring, I like home decor projects, heck, I even had five bucks. Always up for a challenge, I decided to give it a whirl.
Well, naturally, when I think spring, I think flowers. When I think $5 or less, I think dollar stores. When I think dollar stores, I think of my favorite, The Dollar Tree. So off I went, with my $5 in hand to see what kind of trouble I could stir up.
I went up and down the aisles, pondering possibilities, picking stuff up, putting stuff back. I started out with this little guy in my hand.
I then found this fun bag and thought okay, Easter theme.
I just wasn't feeling it. Then I rounded a corner and inspiration struck me when I saw the most beautiful roses, blooming right there on the end of the Dollar Tree aisle.
I picked out my $5 worth of items and headed for the checkout. Oh, the Easter bag and the little clown dude managed to come home with me too. More about them later.
For the record, I love the shabby cottage look. Shabby cottage with roses, even better! So, it came as no suprise that when I sat down to work on this challenge, I was having no trouble whatsoever getting into my project. This time, I think the project may have also been getting into me. Into my hair, under my nails, on my clothes... yeah, things were happenin' ...
But in the end, it was oh, so worth it!
I ended up with a Shabby French Bulletin Board, a Trinket Box, and six notecards made from a gift bag and paper I had on hand. I then paired them with the three file folders and a set of sticky notes I had purchased, that didn't end up being part of my projects, just matching accessories that make for one stinkin' cute shabby chic desk set, right?
But wait, there's more!
(I always did want to be my own info-mercial)
Part of the challenge was to provide a tutorial on the projects that I did. So... without further adieu, let's get our craft on!
I started out with paint. Two coats of off white acrylic paint on the trinket box and the frame of the bulletin board.
The trinket box took a little longer to dry, so I set it aside and started on the bulletin board. Using a small dot of glue in the corner, I started to glue down the beaded trim in a diamond pattern.
Where the trim crosses itself, I added a small dot of glue to hold it in place. It wasn't rocket science, I just criss crossed the trim to make diamonds and cut it off where it reached the edge of the frame. I noticed that the cork was flexible enough to lift it up a tad so I cut it a bit longer than needed and tucked the edge under the frame for a nice finished look.
Then, cause it ain't shabby unless it's chipped, I took my handy dandy nail file to the edges and chipped em' up good and shabby.
The end result:
So I set the board aside and tackled the trinket box. I gave it the same treatment with the nail file on the edges of the box.
Then I wiped it off with a paper towel. Worked like I planned it that way. Next, I had to focus on the inside of the box. I cut two pieces of the gift bag to fit inside the lid and bottom of the box.
Using Mod Podge, I glued them in place.